[NNTP] LISTGROUP

Peter Robinson pmrobinson at gmx.net
Mon Apr 25 15:48:45 PDT 2005

> In <1gvgzza.1drfn101pjsxocM%pmrobinson at gmx.net> pmrobinson at gmx.net
> (Peter Robinson) writes:
>
> >Charles Lindsey <chl at clerew.man.ac.uk> wrote:

> >> The same thing as happens if you select the group with GROUP, and then
> >> ask for ARTICLE with that number (whatever that behaviour is).
>

> >It's unhelpful to compare
> > [C] LISTGROUP example.group 2-3
> >with
> > [C] GROUP example.group
> > [C] ARTICLE 2
> >since they don't always leave the server in the same state (under this
> >proposal).  For example, the final article pointer will be different if
> >example.group has articles 1 and 3 only.
>
> But that case does not fall within your original question (see above).

Quite so.  And your response (once I understood it) was a complete and
consistent answer to my question.  I was just confused as to why you
mentioned ARTICLE at all (as if it was illustrating a general principle)
rather than saying that the article pointer is set to the first article
in the group.

I was probably reading far too much into your wording.

> Clearly, in this case the current poiter should be set to 3.
>
> Put it another way. LISTGROUP returns you a list of article numbers, in
> numeric order. The current article should be set to the first number
> returned. Exceptionally, if the list returned is empty, it should be set
> to the first article that exists in the group,

I would be perfectly happy with that, but the consensus seems to be
going another way.  All that's really important to me is that it's
specified clearly, rather than implicitly via the GROUP behaviour.

Regards,

Peter