[NNTP] LISTGROUP

Mark Crispin mrc at CAC.Washington.EDU
Mon Apr 25 10:01:05 PDT 2005

On Mon, 25 Apr 2005, Clive D.W. Feather wrote:
>>> * Still undecided what to do if:
>>>  - the range is inverted (e.g. 5-1).
>> I'll argue, weakly, that 5-1 should be the same as 1-5.
> I disagree.

5-1 is a curiosity as long as there aren't extensions such as "*" for
"highest assigned article number".  However, it becomes important when
such extensions exist.

> Wrong: if it's a syntax error, the server MUST return a 501 response.

That is a silly argument.

It is impossible to test or certify for such a requirement, since the set
of syntax errors is unbounded.  Therefore, it is a requirement without
force.

Such a requirement would be widely disregarded.  It is doubtful that there
is any server implementation of any non-trivial protocol which attempts to
adhere to such a requirement, much less actually adheres to it.

Taken literally, such a requirement forbids future extension, since
extensions are syntax errors in the unextended protocol.

NNTP is perhaps the sloppiest protocol in the entire messaging suite, so
to pretend that there is rigor today is pointless.

The correct position to take is that a server returns a 501 response to a
detected syntax error; however a client must not rely upon this behavior
and must not send syntax errors.

-- Mark --

http://staff.washington.edu/mrc
Si vis pacem, para bellum.