[NNTP] LISTGROUP

Clive D.W. Feather clive at demon.net
Mon Apr 25 03:56:05 PDT 2005

Mark Crispin said:
> I understood you the first time.  I disagree with the perpetuation of an
> arbitrary divergence from standard Internet protocol architecture which
> was clearly created by mistake rather than conscious decision.
[...]

These three-digit codes are *ARBITRARY*. While the structure might not be
what we would choose today, it's what we've got. There is *NO* benefit to
changing it, particularly using some baroque arrangement that returns
different codes to different clietns.

> But, but, doesn't 6.1.1.2 ban that?  No, because that's the GROUP command
> response.  This is a different command response.  If you want it to have
> the same semantics as GROUP then you must *say* that.

LISTGROUP currently says:

    (the arguments on the initial response line are the same as
    for the GROUP command)

and

    In all other aspects the LISTGROUP command behaves identically to the
    GROUP command.

That text will be staying.

> There is no reason why the three zeros response should be allowed in an
> NNTPv2 compliant server.

There is no reason why it should not be allowed.