[NNTP] LISTGROUP

Clive D.W. Feather clive at demon.net
Mon Apr 25 03:47:59 PDT 2005

Russ Allbery said:
> To which I should probably also add that adding the range parameter to
> LISTGROUP is *also* stepping outside the charter of the group.

> Basically, that means unless everyone loves the idea by the time we
> finalize the i18n language, it's out.

I'm happy with the concept. I'd rather we hammered down the semantics and
then let me draft text rather than having to edit someone else's text so
as to preserve consistency of style. To that end, I *think* we've settled
on:

* Range is an optional second argument, only available if a group has
  been specified. It has the same form as with OVER.
* The *only* effect is to remove some entries from the list following a
  211 code; those entries that don't occur within the range.
* Consensus is to leave the current article number as if no range had been
  specified.
* Still undecided what to do if:
  - the range is valid but empty (e.g. 1-5 when the LWM is 10);
  - the range is inverted (e.g. 5-1).