[NNTP] LISTGROUP

Peter Robinson pmrobinson at gmx.net
Sat Apr 23 04:39:17 PDT 2005

Charles Lindsey <chl at clerew.man.ac.uk> wrote:

> In <1gve117.46mgxr12owtzdM%pmrobinson at gmx.net> pmrobinson at gmx.net
> (Peter Robinson) writes:

[LISTGROUP should select the first article in the range (not group)]

> >I agree.  Assuming servers have no trouble implementing it, I would much
> >prefer to do it that way.  But in that case, what should happen to the
> >current article pointer if there are articles in the group, but none in
> >the range?
>
> The same thing as happens if you select the group with GROUP, and then ask
> for ARTICLE with that number (whatever that behaviour is).

It took me a while to understand what you're saying here.  By 'that
number', you must mean the leftmost number in the range parameter.  In
that case, the behaviour is to set the current article to the first
article in the group (which will be before or after the given range).  I
can live with that (or with selecting no article), but I think it needs
to be stated explicitly.

It's unhelpful to compare
 [C] LISTGROUP example.group 2-3
with
 [C] GROUP example.group
 [C] ARTICLE 2
since they don't always leave the server in the same state (under this
proposal).  For example, the final article pointer will be different if
example.group has articles 1 and 3 only.

Regards,

Peter