[NNTP] LISTGROUP

Charles Lindsey chl at clerew.man.ac.uk
Thu Apr 21 08:29:21 PDT 2005

In <1gvc8dm.1ewzvf41n9nim8M%pmrobinson at gmx.net> pmrobinson at gmx.net (Peter Robinson) writes:

>I think we need to be clearer about what happens to the current article
>pointer.  My reading of it is that by deferring to GROUP you're saying
>that it's always the first article in the group that's selected, even if
>it's not in the (non-empty) range, or if there are no articles in the
>range.  I think this needs to be stated explicitly.

But it would make more practical sense for it to be the first article in
the range. Surely this is easily arranged, given the need to do some
implementation work for this anyway.

BTW, I agree that a range 5-1 should be the empty set. You should be able
to get the high and low water marks from GROUP, and then say

LISTGROUPS groupname low-high

and get the same results as

LISTGROUPS groupname

(assuming no changes in availability of articles in the meantime). That
would agree with the rule that says high<low implies no articles.

Email: chl at clerew.man.ac.uk      Snail: 5 Clerewood Ave, CHEADLE, SK8 3JU, U.K.