[NNTP] Article references

Russ Allbery rra at stanford.edu
Mon Apr 11 13:22:45 PDT 2005

Ken Murchison <ken at oceana.com> writes:

> No, I don't think I was clear.  My assumption is that we should never
> have a duplicate message-id in a single newsgroup.

I thought we were never allowed to have duplicate message-ids *period*.

> The text says that message-id is one key and article_number+timestamp is
> another key, but it seems to me that the only real key is message-id.
> Article number is really just a mapping IMO, but this is a different can
> of worms.

Well, it depends on how one wants to define keys.  Message ID,
group/article number, and timestamp are all keys in the sense that clients
can use them to retrieve articles (well, timestamp isn't handled in quite
the same fashion).