[NNTP] draft-ietf-nntpext-tls-nntp-02.txt

Russ Allbery rra at stanford.edu
Wed Sep 29 19:46:14 PDT 2004

Jeffrey M Vinocur <jeff at litech.org> writes:

> IIRC, this was because any case where the server can unilaterally close
> the connection makes me worried about a naive client inadvertently
> DOS'ing the server.

Yeah, I can see that part.

> Regardless, I do feel like we're misleading to client authors if the
> spec says only "the server will reject all further commands" when in
> practice servers are quite likely to close the connection, even if
> somewhere in a different document we warn them that the server can close
> the connection at any time.

This I'm not sure about, just in that I'm not sure why the server would
need to close the connection.  Surely if it starts returning 483 to every
command, the client will either go back and try doing this again, or will
eventually give up.  As a server author, I'd tend to just throw the server
into a reject everything mode and not worry too much about it.