[NNTP] draft-ietf-nntpext-tls-nntp-02.txt

Ken Murchison ken at oceana.com
Wed Sep 29 08:05:54 PDT 2004

Clive D.W. Feather wrote:

  > 1.1: suggest you replace the last para with the text that's in NNTPAUTH:
>
>      The notational conventions used in this document are the same as
>      those in [NNTP] and any term not defined in this document has the
>      same meaning as in that one.

Done.

> 2 para 3: s/MUST NOT be used/MUST NOT be relied on/  (the stuff in 11.6
> only forbids caching security information).

Done.

> 2 last para: we don't have the concept of a mode change in NNTP. This
> paragraph merely repeats the meaning of "This command MUST NOT be
> pipelined" in 3.1 and therefore isn't needed.

Done.

> 3.2.1 para 2: in option (1), rather than dropping the connection
> immediately it should use the 400 generic response code.

Taking this discussion to another post.

> 3.2.1 last para, second bullet: s/client, however/client. However/

Done.

> 3.2.2 first para: will it be clear from the TLS negotiation whether it
> succeeded or failed?

Yes.

  > 6 para 7: do you mean "deleting the 382 response" or do you mean
"replacing
> the 382 response with a 502 response"? If you just delete the response, the
> client will sleep forever.

This was a failed translation from RFC 3207.  The sentence should say:

"... deleting the STARTTLS extension label in the LIST EXTENSIONS
response from the server."

> 6 para 8: s/retry TLS at a later time/retry TLS later in the session/

Done.

Software Engineer     21 Princeton Place
716-662-8973 x26      Orchard Park, NY 14127