[NNTP] draft-ietf-nntpext-authinfo-04

Ken Murchison ken at oceana.com
Wed Sep 29 07:44:17 PDT 2004

Ken Murchison wrote:

> Clive D.W. Feather wrote:
>> 2.4.2 "When both TLS ..."; I said in a previous message that this
>> could be
>> re-read, and suggested other wording for it.
>

> Sorry, I missed that.  I just found and read your previous comments on
> this.  I agree with your text which further clarifies the ordering of
> the TLS and SASL security layers and I've added it.

Actually, I left the original wording (taken verbatim from RFC 2554bis
and RFC 1734bis) which IMHO is pretty clear, but added my own parenthetical:

"When both TLS [NNTP-TLS] and SASL security layers are in effect, the
TLS encoding MUST be applied after the SASL encoding (the cleartext
data is always SASL encoded first and then the resultant data is TLS
encoded)."

Software Engineer     21 Princeton Place
716-662-8973 x26      Orchard Park, NY 14127