[NNTP] Comments on draft-...-authinfo-03

Clive D.W. Feather clive at demon.net
Tue Sep 28 05:37:25 PDT 2004

Russ Allbery said:
>> We could go back to what Chris Newman had originally had which is a
>> separate capability for SASL, eg,
>
>> before authentication:
>
>> AUTHINFO USER SASL
>> SASL PLAIN CRAM-MD5
>
>> after authentication:
>
>> SASL PLAIN CRAM-MD5
>
> I'm ambivalent about this.  I don't mind this, but I also don't mind what
> we already have.  I'm willing to endorse the change, but only if what we
> have now really bothers people and the general consensus is that this
> would be a substantial improvement;

I don't think it would be an improvement at all.

We have an odd situation here: we want to show that a capability *isn't*
there but used to be; that is, any attempt to use it will fail. I suggested
the "-" as a way of showing this. I don't think the above suggestion gets
the message across at all.

> if not, I'd rather err on the side of
> going with what we have so that we can get a document released.

Okay (but see other emails I'm about to write).