[NNTP] Comments on draft-...-authinfo-03

Russ Allbery rra at stanford.edu
Sun Sep 26 16:04:30 PDT 2004

Clive D W Feather <clive at demon.net> writes:
> Ken Murchison said:

>> I suppose a reference to this text wouldn't hurt however.

> I'd be happy with:

>     In agreement with [SASL], after a security layer is established
>     the server MUST continue to advertise the AUTHINFO capability with
>     the same arguments as before authentication.

This sounds like the best fix to me as well.

>>> Question to the group: would it be worth adding a flag to show that
>>> authentication is no longer possible? Something like:
>>>
>>>     AUTHINFO - USER SASL:EXTERNAL
>>
>> Or we could just ignore a SHOULD in RFC 2222bis and not display the
>> AUTHINFO capability at all after authentication.  But I don't think
>> this is a good idea.

> I'm happy to show the information, though I think it's better being
> flagged (so that a naive client [author] doesn't think that AUTHINFO is
> valid at this point).

I'd rather not add more complexity to the syntax right now.  I know it's a
little bit confusing, but I think it's best to leave it as currently
presented rather than adding a separate flag with a syntax that isn't
really related to the rest of the protocol.