[NNTP] Comments on draft-...-authinfo-03

Clive D.W. Feather clive at demon.net
Wed Sep 22 07:41:46 PDT 2004

Ken Murchison said:

>>>This is to help detect man in the middle attacks.
[...]

Following Jeffrey's explanation I now understand the attack that you're
defending against, though I wouldn't call it "Man-in-the-Middle".

> Anyone implementing this extension will have to read RFC 2222bis, so I
> don't want to repeat what is already dicussed there:
>
>    In order to detect Man-in-the-middle (MITM) attacks

You may want to bring the terminology discussion to whoever is working on
2222bis.

>    New
>    protocol profiles SHOULD require servers to make the list of SASL
>    mechanisms available for the initial authentication available to the
>    client after security layers are established.

Fine.

> I suppose a reference to this text wouldn't hurt however.

I'd be happy with:

    In agreement with [SASL], after a security layer is established
    the server MUST continue to advertise the AUTHINFO capability with
    the same arguments as before authentication.

>> Question to the group: would it be worth adding a flag to show that
>> authentication is no longer possible? Something like:
>>
>>     AUTHINFO - USER SASL:EXTERNAL
>
> Or we could just ignore a SHOULD in RFC 2222bis and not display the
> AUTHINFO capability at all after authentication.  But I don't think this
> is a good idea.

I'm happy to show the information, though I think it's better being flagged
(so that a naive client [author] doesn't think that AUTHINFO is valid at
this point).