[NNTP] Spaces in usernames and passwords

Russ Allbery rra at stanford.edu
Thu Sep 2 19:18:23 PDT 2004

Charles Lindsey <chl at clerew.man.ac.uk> writes:

> If it MAY do that, then why not say it SHOULD/MUST do that, and the
> whole problem goes away?

It's actually a commonly-requested feature.  The goal is primarily to
document existing practice, and existing practice is mixed.  Both
approaches have merits and neither is obviously better than the other,
plus this mechanism is going to be replaced by SASL PLAIN anyway
eventually.

> Yes, that might conflict with normal SASL usage,

It doesn't have anything whatsoever to do with SASL.  That's the reason
why we're not investing any effort in changing it.