[NNTP] LIST EXTENSIONS and an NNTPv2 capability

Clive D.W. Feather clive at demon.net
Tue Oct 26 09:56:24 PDT 2004

Mark Crispin said:
> From the point of view of a messaging client implementor who implements
> NNTP as one of many messaging protocols, what is needed is:
>  1) A binary token that indicates if the server complies with a particular
>     specification.

A particular specification, or a particular *version* of a specification?

>  2) For each extension to that specification, a binary token that
>     indicates if the server offers that specification.

What about "the server will offer that specification, but only if you do
this bit of magic first"? Because that's what NNTP does right now. More
precisely, it says "does not offer that specification" until you do the
magic, at which point it suddenly say "does offer that specification".

> I certainly do not want or need anything like that STATUS command.

*All* that STATUS command adds is version numbers and the actual "the
server offers this specification" token (though not binary). The rest of
what is there was there already.