[NNTP] LIST EXTENSIONS and an NNTPv2 capability

Charles Lindsey chl at clerew.man.ac.uk
Tue Oct 19 13:47:30 PDT 2004

In <417442FE.6040602 at oceana.com> Ken Murchison <ken at oceana.com> writes:

>Charles Lindsey wrote:
>>
>> FWIW, I am with Clive on this one.
>>
>> Not that I would necessarily go with his full proposal (perhaps a cut down
>> version). It might have been a good thing to consider earlier on, but not
>> at this late stage.

>Just out of curiosity, are you and Clive saying that a simple NNTPv2
>capability does not solve the problem at hand, or that it doesn't take
>things far enough?

A bit of both. Either you omit the NNTPv2 proposal, and then a few
currently half-compliant clients and/or servers will behave oddly during
the tansitional period (and their administrators will work around as best
they can).

Or else we provide something along the lines Clive suggested (but it does
seem a bit complex to me).

But anything in between these is a kludge.

Email: chl at clerew.man.ac.uk      Snail: 5 Clerewood Ave, CHEADLE, SK8 3JU, U.K.