[NNTP] draft-ietf-nntpext-streaming-02

Andrew - Supernews andrew at supernews.net
Mon Oct 18 11:25:42 PDT 2004

 >> INN never generates 436 after receiving an article body. Older
 >> diablo versions (haven't checked newer ones) generate 436 if they
 >> failed to store the article, which is bogus for the same reasons
 >> that I covered for the TAKETHIS case (it results in the sending
 >> end wasting a lot of effort).

 Clive> No, you mean "which triggers undesirable behaviour in broken
 Clive> clients". It's not at all a bogus response; on the contrary,
 Clive> it's a conforming one.

Conforming with what? For the TAKETHIS case, the best existing
reference around is 2980, which does not list a deferral response for
TAKETHIS. (It allows only for 239, 439, 400, 480, 500)

 Clive> No, I mean 432 because that's what the specification say.

It's what the _draft_ says. Where reality and the text of the draft
conflict, then it's the draft which has to change, not the reality.

--
Andrew, Supernews
http://www.supernews.com