[NNTP] draft-ietf-nntpext-tls-nntp-03

Ken Murchison ken at oceana.com
Mon Oct 18 07:49:19 PDT 2004

Clive D.W. Feather wrote:

> Ken Murchison said:
>
>>>You might also want to add a LIST EXTENSIONS to the last example to show
>>>this.
>>
>>Actually, doesn't the use of GROUP local.public in the last example
>>already illustrate this point?
>

> That illustrates the 400. What I meant was, insert a LIST EXTENSIONS (which
> should *succeed*) between the two GROUPs, showing that "483 to everything"
> can't override the requirement for certain basic commands to work.

Ah, OK.  So is LIST EXTENSIONS the best way to illustrate this or should
I insert a GROUP local.public (which I just noticed isn't included in
that example)?  Or should I do both?  Three proposed examples are shown
below.

[C] STARTTLS
[S] 382 Continue with TLS negotiation
[TLS negotiation is attempted here]
[Following failed negotiation, traffic resumes without TLS]
[C] GROUP local.confidential
[S] 483 Encryption or stronger authentication required
[C] LIST EXTENSIONS
[S] 202 Extensions supported:
[S] STARTTLS
[S] OVER
[S] .
[C] GROUP local.private
[S] 400 Closing connection due to lack of security

[C] STARTTLS
[S] 382 Continue with TLS negotiation
[TLS negotiation is attempted here]
[Following failed negotiation, traffic resumes without TLS]
[C] GROUP local.confidential
[S] 483 Encryption or stronger authentication required
[C] GROUPS local.public
[S] 211 321 4000 4321
[C] GROUP local.private
[S] 400 Closing connection due to lack of security

[C] STARTTLS
[S] 382 Continue with TLS negotiation
[TLS negotiation is attempted here]
[Following failed negotiation, traffic resumes without TLS]
[C] LIST EXTENSIONS
[S] 202 Extensions supported:
[S] STARTTLS
[S] OVER
[S] .
[C] GROUP local.confidential
[S] 483 Encryption or stronger authentication required
[C] GROUPS local.public
[S] 211 321 4000 4321
[C] GROUP local.private
[S] 400 Closing connection due to lack of security

Software Engineer     21 Princeton Place
716-662-8973 x26      Orchard Park, NY 14127