[NNTP] draft-ietf-nntpext-streaming-02

Andrew - Supernews andrew at supernews.net
Fri Oct 15 15:24:24 PDT 2004

 Ken> So, are you saying that in practice that servers will never (and
 Ken> should not ever) respond with a deferral type code to IHAVE,
 Ken> POST, and TAKETHIS after receiving the article?

What has POST got to do with this? There is no "deferral" response to
a POST command.

What I'm saying is that I know of no cases in which it makes sense for
a server to return a deferral after the article body in either IHAVE
or TAKETHIS. I'm also saying that there are existing servers that do
so anyway under certain conditions, and that in such cases the
response causes far more problems than it solves, so the spec
certainly shouldn't encourage it.

Deferral responses to IHAVE after the body aren't likely to cause a
huge problem in practice, though they won't necessarily work as
expected from the server's viewpoint.

--
Andrew, Supernews
http://www.supernews.com