[NNTP] draft-ietf-nntpext-streaming-02

Andrew - Supernews andrew at supernews.net
Fri Oct 15 10:55:23 PDT 2004

 >> The existing paragraph was taken verbatim (other then the 432)
 >> from the base doc.  Does this change also apply to IHAVE, or does
 >> TAKETHIS have subtle differences from IHAVE in the wild?

 Clive> Hang on.

 Clive> As I see it, the 432 response to TAKETHIS has exactly the same
 Clive> meaning as the 436 response to IHAVE. We explicitly list 436
 Clive> as being possible after the article body has been sent. So
 Clive> when do existing servers generate this response?

INN never generates 436 after receiving an article body. Older diablo
versions (haven't checked newer ones) generate 436 if they failed to
store the article, which is bogus for the same reasons that I covered
for the TAKETHIS case (it results in the sending end wasting a lot of
effort).

 Clive> If they do, why shouldn't they generate 432 in the same
 Clive> situation?

I assume you mean "431" rather than "432", because generating 432
under any circumstances whatever breaks existing streaming clients.

Every implementation I've checked handles article bodies in IHAVE
and TAKETHIS commands the same, generally using the same code.

--
Andrew, Supernews
http://www.supernews.com