[NNTP] Re: [ietf-nntp] draft-ietf-nntpext-streaming-01.txt

Ken Murchison ken at oceana.com
Fri Oct 15 06:30:03 PDT 2004

Clive D.W. Feather wrote:

> I think the table is being looked at wrongly. If you split the two stages
> of IHAVE, it becomes more obvious:
>
>                          IHAVE-1   IHAVE-2   CHECK     TAKETHIS
>     send article:          335        -       238         -
>     not wanted:            435        -       438         -
>     xfer not possible:     436        -       431         -
>     xferred OK:             -        235       -         239
>     xfer failed, retry:     -        436       -        [???]
>     xfer rejected:          -        437       -         439
>
> The code in brackets could be 431 (dual-use, just like 436), or it can be a
> separate code (on the "one situation one code" principle).

Yes, your split table illustrates the point better.  The -02 draft uses
432 to fill the hole, but I'm not convinced that it can't be 431.

Would a client really intermingle CHECK and TAKETHIS within the same
pipeline of commands?  If not, then why do the response codes need to be
unique?

Perhaps I just don't understand how CHECK/TAKETHIS is currently used in
the wild.

Software Engineer     21 Princeton Place
716-662-8973 x26      Orchard Park, NY 14127