[NNTP] LIST EXTENSIONS and an NNTPv2 capability

Ken Murchison ken at oceana.com
Fri Oct 15 06:18:18 PDT 2004

Clive D.W. Feather wrote:

> We can't force someone to upgrade their support of an extension. All they
> have to do is declare it to be a private extension whose commands happen to
> have the same name. Better to recognise this than to pretend it doesn't
> happen. There's a similar issue with transition from one version of a
> specification to the next one; both of these are addressed in my STATUS
> proposal.

I agree that we can't force people to upgrade their software, but if
they choose to advertise NNTPv2 without also fixing any legacy
extensions to also be compliant, market pressure *will* force them to do
so based on user complaints that their software is broken.

Software Engineer     21 Princeton Place
716-662-8973 x26      Orchard Park, NY 14127