[NNTP] LIST EXTENSIONS and an NNTPv2 capability

Clive D.W. Feather clive at demon.net
Fri Oct 15 02:07:07 PDT 2004

Ken Murchison said:
> Hmm, after thinking about this some more, maybe we can just state in the
> base doc that any server which is upgraded to RFC 977bis SHOULD also
> consult the IANA registry of NNTP extensions and MUST simultaneously
> upgrade any legacy extensions that it already supports.

As I just said, I don't see how you enforce this.

If we have a versioning mechanism, we automatically encourage people to
check the IANA registry and resulting specifications so that they know what
value to put under "version supported". It also eliminates the temptation
to lie ("I almost do AUTHINFO USER correctly, so I'll advertise it").

One of the bugbears of C standardisation was all the compliers who define
__STDC__ to 1 on the grounds that "I do prototypes, so I look more like
Standard C than K&R C". Even worse are those who define it to 0 or 2 for
some strange reason. The lesson to learn is that you need to provide a way
to say "I've got something similar but not quite right" as a transitional
feature.