[NNTP] draft-ietf-nntpext-streaming-02

Russ Allbery rra at stanford.edu
Wed Oct 13 21:47:57 PDT 2004

Ken Murchison <ken at oceana.com> writes:
> Russ Allbery wrote:

>> I think so (although if someone else has a different opinion, they
>> should weigh in here).  I'd add an explicit mention of a 400 response,
>> saying that it should be treated the same as no response, and I think
>> we still have to describe a deferral since that's the proper action to
>> take if no response or a 400 response is received.

> I'm not sure that I completely understand the argument, so some
> suggested text might be helpful.

Right now, the document says:

     The client SHOULD NOT assume that the article has been successfully
     transferred unless it receives an affirmative response from the
     server.  A lack of response (such as a dropped network connection
     or a network timeout) SHOULD be treated the same as a 432 response.

I think it should say:

     The client SHOULD NOT assume that the article has been successfully
     transferred unless it receives an affirmative response from the
     server.  A lack of response (such as a dropped network connection or
     a network timeout) or a 400 response SHOULD cause the transfer to be
     tried again later if possible.

or something along those lines, including the wording from the 432
response in there under the assumption that we're taking out that response
code again.