[NNTP] LIST EXTENSIONS and an NNTPv2 capability

Russ Allbery rra at stanford.edu
Wed Oct 13 19:15:58 PDT 2004

Charles Lindsey <chl at clerew.man.ac.uk> writes:

> I am not particularly enamoured of this idea. Presumably the two
> implementations that currently do it wrong will shortly be mended to do
> it right. So the alternative of putting up with the situation for a
> hopefully shortish transitional period can also be considered.

That was raised, but Mark Crispin rightfully pointed out that this is far
too optimistic about the lifespan of existing deployed software, and would
make LIST EXTENSIONS significantly less useful to well-designed clients
for a long time going forward.  After thinking about it for a while, I
agree with him; this is simple and straightforward both to describe and to
implement, matches existing practice with other protocols, has other
merits (since we did tweak some other minor things in the protocol), and
doesn't really have any drawbacks that I can see.