[NNTP] LIST EXTENSIONS and an NNTPv2 capability

Ken Murchison ken at oceana.com
Wed Oct 13 11:47:59 PDT 2004

Russ Allbery wrote:

> The proposed solution is this:  Specify in our base draft that any server
> that fully complies with the new specification advertise the NNTPv2
> capability as part of LIST EXTENSIONS.  Clients can then ignore or treat
> with dubiousness any server that doesn't advertise that capability, thus
> solving the Collabra problem.

Hmm, I just noticed that NNTPv2 isn't a valid extension label per the
latest grammar since extension-label is defined to be 3*12UPPER.  We'll
either have to come up with a new label or relax the grammar.  Since I
originally suggested NNTPv2, I'm in favor or relaxing the grammar and
perhaps making extension-label 3*12A-CHAR.  Is there a reason why this
wasn't done in the first place?

Software Engineer     21 Princeton Place
716-662-8973 x26      Orchard Park, NY 14127