[NNTP] LIST EXTENSIONS and an NNTPv2 capability

Ken Murchison ken at oceana.com
Wed Oct 13 08:11:47 PDT 2004

Ken Murchison wrote:

> As far as the legacy extensions which we are standardizing, we need to
> document somewhere that any server which supports one or more of these
> extensions and is upgraded to be compliant with RFC 977bis MUST also be
> upgraded to be compliant with the standardized versions of these
> extensions (including advertising it where appropriate).  This is the
> only way that I can see that a client which sees NNTPv2 advertised will
> know if these extensions are supported and how they will behave.

This pretty much requires us to have the base doc and the AUTHINFO,
STARTTLS, and STREAMING extension docs progress simultaneously.

The AUTHINFO and STARTTLS docs are almost ready for last call, and I'm
working hard to get a -02 draft for STREAMING out the door which
hopefully would take no more than one additional revision before last call.

> Unfortunately, I don't know where this should be documented.  I don't
> think we can put it in the base doc since we don't want the base doc
> referencing extension docs.  Putting it in the extensions docs doesn't
> really help because a server author may fail to reference them when
> upgrading to RFC 977bis compliance.  Perhaps the best thing would be to
> have a companion (Informational) document to RFC 977bis discussing
> compatibility/upgrade issues.

Hmm, after thinking about this some more, maybe we can just state in the
base doc that any server which is upgraded to RFC 977bis SHOULD also
consult the IANA registry of NNTP extensions and MUST simultaneously
upgrade any legacy extensions that it already supports.

Software Engineer     21 Princeton Place
716-662-8973 x26      Orchard Park, NY 14127