[NNTP] Re: [ietf-nntp] draft-ietf-nntpext-streaming-01.txt

Russ Allbery rra at stanford.edu
Tue Oct 12 15:17:17 PDT 2004

Ken Murchison <ken at oceana.com> writes:

> After thinking about this some more, should we even bother discussing
> MODE STREAM as a formal part of the STREAMING extension?  Since we all
> agree that MODE STREAM has been historically used as a capability
> discovery mechanism, which is now deprecated by LIST EXTENSIONS, what's
> the point of formalizing it?  I can see possibly documenting it as an
> obsolete command somewhere in the document, but including it as part of
> the STREAMING extension seems wrong.

I'm worried about transition issues.  I believe there are implementations
that will reject CHECK/TAKETHIS unless MODE STREAM has been sent first, so
I'd like to warn implementors that for backward compatibility, they should
implement MODE STREAM on the receiving end even if it's a no-op and send
it before using CHECK/TAKETHIS.  (While strongly discouraging this
implementation method in the future, of course.)