[NNTP] draft-ietf-nntpext-authinfo-05 & draft-ietf-nntpext-tls-nntp-03

Ken Murchison ken at oceana.com
Tue Oct 5 06:43:25 PDT 2004

Clive D.W. Feather wrote:
> Ken Murchison said:
>
>>Just sent these two drafts which hopefully include all issues/comments
>>up to Clive's/Jeff's from this morning.  Changes from the previous
>>versions are listed in Sections 0.
>>
>>http://www.oceana.com/ftp/drafts/draft-ietf-nntpext-authinfo-05.txt
>>http://www.oceana.com/ftp/drafts/draft-ietf-nntpext-tls-nntp-03.txt
>

> Just going through these now. Comments on the latter sent separately.
>
> I've just realized there's a potential deadlock: what stops a server giving
> 483 to AUTHINFO and 480 to STARTTLS? Do we want to forbid the latter
> (particularly since you can't use STARTTLS after authentication), or do we
> want to leave this in the "too dumb to worry about" pile?

Not a bad idea, but I don't care either way.

> In authinfo-05, section 2.2, para 5 (of 7) I don't see the point of the
> last sentence and in particular the SHOULD. See the similar comment on the
> TLS document for details.

This dovetails with the fact that the capabilties might change after
auth/tls and the client should check for this.  Russ, care to comment?
I'm not married to this at this point, so I'll let the chair decide.

> I still think the last paragraph of 2.2 does things wrong; I've given
> my preference several times, so I won't repeat it again.

I apologize, I must have lost track of this in the threads or assumed
that we had a consensus (all 4 of us :) otherwise.  Can you reiterate
your argument and suggested text?

Software Engineer     21 Princeton Place
716-662-8973 x26      Orchard Park, NY 14127