[NNTP] Re: [ietf-nntp] draft-ietf-nntpext-streaming-01.txt

Ken Murchison ken at oceana.com
Mon Oct 4 18:37:33 PDT 2004

Russ Allbery wrote:
> Ken Murchison <ken at oceana.com> writes:
>

>>OK, something like this?
>

>>			IHAVE	CHECK	TAKETHIS
>>xferred OK:		235	NA	239
>>send article:		335	238	NA
>>not wanted:		435	438	[438]
>>xfer not possible:	436	431	[431]
>>xfer failed:		436	NA	[431]
>>xfer rejected:	437	NA	439
>

>>Simply reusing 431 and 438 for TAKETHIS.
>

> If I understand your table correctly, "not wanted" is the decision made
> before the article is sent, which isn't possible for TAKETHIS.  So that
> column would be NA for TAKETHIS.

I still think that "not wanted" (a.k.a. "already have this msgid") is
still valid for TAKETHIS.  This could occur because a client tries to
send an article immediately with TAKETHIS (w/o having done CHECK first)
or because of the race condition between running CHECK and TAKETHIS
(e.g. another process accepts the particular message in the interval).
Having said that, 439 would suffice for this case, but I look at that as
"not accepting articles for this group" rather than "already have this
msgid".

I'll defer to the consensus on whether to document 438 for TAKETHIS.

> I think we only have one new code that
> we need to come up with, where you currently have [431].

[text removed]

> I think, with the above correction, that this will work okay unless
> clients really want to handle TAKETHIS deferrals different than CHECK
> deferrals but don't want to do the bookkeeping to keep track of whether
> the article was offered with TAKETHIS or with CHECK.  The really important
> part is to keep 238, 438, and 439 distinct.

I'll go with 431 for now until someone can come up with a case for it
having to be unique.

Actually the "xfer not possible" and "xfer failed" cases are one in the
same for TAKETHIS, so I'll just document 431 as "xfer failed".

Software Engineer     21 Princeton Place
716-662-8973 x26      Orchard Park, NY 14127