[NNTP] Re: [ietf-nntp] draft-ietf-nntpext-streaming-01.txt

Ken Murchison ken at oceana.com
Mon Oct 4 16:20:38 PDT 2004

Russ Allbery wrote:

> Article not wanted is 439 for TAKETHIS as previously noted, and similarly
> for transfer rejected.  Both of the middle ones are deferral, and as noted
> before I'm not sure that having two separate codes there is needed.  This
> is what should be 438 (or 432 or 436) for TAKETHIS.

OK, something like this?

			IHAVE	CHECK	TAKETHIS
xferred OK:		235	NA	239
send article:		335	238	NA
not wanted:		435	438	[438]
xfer not possible:	436	431	[431]
xfer failed:		436	NA	[431]
xfer rejected:		437	NA	439

Simply reusing 431 and 438 for TAKETHIS.  This might invalidate your
argument that the response codes need to be unique between CHECK and
TAKETHIS, but I don't see where this breaks anything.   My guess is that
a client wouldn't be pipelining CHECK and TAKETHIS together.  The client
will pipeline the CHECKs, and process the results.  Then based on these
results, it will pipeline TAKETHIS.  Am I missing something?  Hmm,
even if a client *does* interleave CHECK and TAKETHIS this might still
work (with a side-effect of trying TAKETHIS twice on an article that the
server doesn't want).

Software Engineer     21 Princeton Place
716-662-8973 x26      Orchard Park, NY 14127