[NNTP] Proposed STARTTLS changes

Clive D.W. Feather clive at demon.net
Mon Oct 4 00:34:22 PDT 2004

Ken Murchison said:
> Here are my proposed changes to the text which address two issues:

I'm happy with these changes, apart from suggesting the following tweak:

> --- 283,294 ----
>   is not high enough for it to continue, it SHOULD issue a QUIT
>   command immediately after the TLS negotiation is complete.  If the NNTP
>   server decides that the level of authentication or privacy is not high
> ! enough for it to continue, it SHOULD reject further NNTP commands from
> ! the client (other than a QUIT command) with a 483 response code (with
> ! a possible text string such as "Command refused due to lack of
> ! security"), but it MAY reject a command with a 400 response code (with
> ! a possible text string such as "Connection closing due to lack of
> ! security") and close the connection.

                                                               If the NNTP
    server decides that the level of authentication or privacy is not high
    enough for it to continue, it SHOULD reject further NNTP commands from
    the client (other than a QUIT command), either by continuous use of
    the 483 response code (possibly with a text string such as "Command
    refused due to lack of security") or by closing the connection after
    issuing a 400 response code (possibly with a text string such as
    "Connection closing due to lack of security").

That is:

(1) Change the structure from "If ... it SHOULD ... but it MAY ..." to
"If ... it SHOULD ... either ... or ...".

(2) Change "with a possible text" to "possibly with a text", since there's
no requirement for any text at all.