[ietf-nntp] I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-nntpext-base-24.txt

Clive D.W. Feather clive at demon.net
Fri Oct 15 02:58:17 PDT 2004

Ken Murchison said:
>> directories.

> Just a general comment.  The pagination of this particular revision is a
> mess.  There aren't any pagebreak characters and even if I add them
> between the headers and footers, some pages contain too many lines.  I
> assume this is a result of some sort of software burp.  The long and
> short of it is that this current document is unsuitable for printing,
> when compared to other I-Ds.
>
> I last printed -21 which was fine, so something changed in the text
> generation between -21 and -24

Firstly, the problem happened between -22 and -23.

Secondly, I don't know what on earth happened. The file that I sent to the
I-D editors was correct in every aspect; it had form feeds and every page
contained the same (correct) number of lines. I didn't change my method of
submission either (.txt file attached in a MIME email). They've made the
change after receipt.

Thirdly, what's happened is three things:
- two blank lines have been removed from the top of the document;
- the form feeds have been deleted;
- every block of blank lines has had an extra blank line added.
You can reverse these using the following awk script:

    BEGIN { print "" ; print "" }
    /^$/ { blank++ }
    /./ { blank = 0 }
    blank != 1
    /^Feather  *Expire/ { print "^L" }

I'll fire off a complaint to the editors.