[NNTP] [2504] Response code for "need MODE READER first"

Clive D.W. Feather clive at demon.net
Mon Nov 29 02:11:20 PST 2004

Issue: if MODE READER remains significant, what response code is used for
"you can't do this until you've issued MODE READER"? The historical answer
is 502. We added 401 in draft as "you need to invoke this feature first"
and this seems cleaner. On the other hand, clients are going to have to be
prepared for 502 anyway.

If we get rid of the idea of mode-switching servers, this becomes moot.

Ken is in favour of 401.