[NNTP] Snapshot 4

Clive D.W. Feather clive at demon.net
Mon Nov 29 00:37:33 PST 2004

Charles Lindsey said:
>> * CAPABILITIES command added - section 5.2.
> For the record, I would prefer "LIST CAPABILITIES"

I don't.

LIST is already a complete mess and the idea of two-part command names is
also a complete mess. I can't do much about the ones already there, but I
see no reason to make the situation worse.

>> * LIST EXTENSIONS moved from 5.3 to 9.1 and completely rewritten; it is now
>>   defined in terms of CAPABILITIES.
> Do we actually need a LIST EXTENSIONS command at all? Other than to say it
> is an obsolete version of [LIST] CAPABILITIES that may be encountered in a
> few servers.

If we are going to say anything about it at all, let's give it a proper
specification. It's a lack of proper specifications that have caused the
previous messes.

As to whether we need it at all, I think we do to provide a bridge between
v2 servers and v1 clients.