[NNTP] Snapshot 4

Ken Murchison ken at oceana.com
Sat Nov 27 08:12:39 PST 2004

Clive D.W. Feather wrote:
> Okay, a fourth snapshot is in the usual place:
>     <http://www.davros.org/nntp-texts/draft25.pre-4.txt>
>     <http://www.davros.org/nntp-texts/draft25.pre-4.html>
>
> This is the one that has the CAPABILITIES command, version numbers, and so
> on. It is, I hope, the last major organisational change to the document.
>
> There are a number of outstanding issues; when commenting, please quote the
> reference number [2501] [2502] etc.

Missed some outstanding issues in my previous post:

2507:  I don't think it needs to be mandatory, but general/reader
servers SHOULD implement it (at least as a no-op) and always return
200/201.  Transit-only servers can probably return whatever code
corresponds to "unimplemented" (500/503).

2508:  Is the wildmat allowed by some servers and not by others?  We
should just specify whether ACTIVE.TIMES accepts a wildmat or not,
instead of leaving it as optional.  That way this issue is moot.

2509:  Doesn't matter to me, but this would be an easy change since this
command is newly defined by this document.

2510:  For legacy reasons, this might be difficult.  Servers will
probably support it anyways for XOVER clients, so does it make sense to
have two commands which return the same info?

Software Engineer     21 Princeton Place
716-662-8973 x26      Orchard Park, NY 14127