[NNTP] Re: MODE READER

Kai Henningsen kaih at khms.westfalen.de
Sun Nov 14 08:00:00 PST 2004

clive at demon.net (Clive D.W. Feather)  wrote on 11.11.04 in <20041111165629.GG42609 at finch-staff-1.thus.net>:

> >> Count the arrows. They were attributed correctly.
> > Nope.  The statement above was made by Andrew.
>
> Oh, good grief.
>
> In the above:
> >>     is Clive
> >      is Ken
> As far as I and many (most) Usenet posters are concerned, this is a correct
> attribution.

Nope.

The *correct* Usenet-style attribution involves not snipping out the names
of the other authors in the first place; that's just rude, and you seem to
do it consistently.

See how my reply starts with *two* attribution lines, and yours started
with just one.

That's where all the trouble comes from.

>Stuff with one arrow is the attributed person; stuff with more
> than one is material that person quoted.

*This* part is correct. It's necessary, but not sufficient.

> Similarly, in the original post I attributed Mark because I was quoting his
> post, but some of the text in my post began ">>", because it was Mark
> quoting Andrew.

And you were at fault for snipping the line attributing it to Andrew.

> Happy now?

Not really.

MfG Kai