[NNTP] LIST EXTENSIONS (again)

Kai Henningsen kaih at khms.westfalen.de
Sun Nov 14 05:07:00 PST 2004

andrew at supernews.net (Andrew - Supernews)  wrote on 10.11.04 in <E1CRkRX-000Pfb-5v at trinity.supernews.net>:

> Well, that's the problem; your imagination isn't covering the
> real-world cases. The most common case, for example, is when you run a
> client directly on the server itself (either because you're the admin,
> or it's a single-user box, or the client is some automated script or a
> web interface or similar); by default INN gives transfer access to
> localhost. (On something like a multiuser shell box you'd disable
> that.)

[...]

> from the cache to the real server. Then there are probably more
> scenarios I've not thought of (Russ might have some).

UUCP needs transfer access from localhost. Well, actually, it's rnews that
needs this; UUCP uses rnews. IIRC, however, nnrpd also uses rnews if innd
can't currently accept messages - it puts those in rnews' in.coming queue
directory and relies on a cronjob calling rnews -U to unspool them into
innd via - of course - a transfer mode connection.

MfG Kai