[NNTP] LIST EXTENSIONS (again)

Kai Henningsen kaih at khms.westfalen.de
Sun Nov 14 05:13:00 PST 2004

MRC at CAC.Washington.EDU (Mark Crispin)  wrote on 09.11.04 in <Pine.WNT.4.62.0411091456010.4140 at Tomobiki-Cho.CAC.Washington.EDU>:

> That is a server implementation issue.  It is not something that should be
> inflicted on the client.
>
> NNTP sure stands out as being a protocol of, by, and for servers and
> server developers.  Perhaps the NNTP community would be happier if there
> weren't any clients.

That sounds to me more like a social attitude problem than like a
technical argument.

Similar for the argument "MODE READER is only useful for INN, two other
people implemented a broken version, and the fact that their version is
broken (except that because one is pine's and therefore it cannot be
broken, no matter that it is completely useless) means that INN is the one
who needs to change".

Frankly, it's hard to imagine a less convincing way of argumentation.

MfG Kai