[NNTP] Re: MODE READER

Clive D.W. Feather clive at demon.net
Thu Nov 11 05:20:26 PST 2004

Russ Allbery said:
>> As long as readers can still advertise transit commands and vice versa,
>> I think that sounds great.  And that would let us introduce 433 in a
>> more comprehensive fashion and maybe push people a little towards using
>> that in situations where MODE READER is currently used.
>
> One thing that I do want to add here, though, is that we don't want to go
> down the path of making too many changes, and this is borderline -- it
> sort of deals with the LIST EXTENSIONS stuff we're working on, but also
> goes a little bit beyond it.
>
> In other words, we have to be careful not to reopen too much, although if
> we can make this part clearer, maybe that would be worthwhile.

This is going to look (I've started on it, so I know) like a major revision
of parts of the document. But in actual fact, it changes very little. The
wording of MODE READER, if you know how to read it, already allows for the
four different server types we discussed. It's just so badly presented that
everyone sits looking confused.

The only substantive changes will be the capability reporting (which is a
separate matter anyway) and *possibly* the elimination of MODE READER,
which is also a separate sub-thread.