[NNTP] Re: MODE READER

Mark Crispin mrc at CAC.Washington.EDU
Wed Nov 10 12:33:42 PST 2004

On Wed, 10 Nov 2004, Ken Murchison wrote:
> As an aside, what, if any, legacy extensions should a server list via LIST
> EXTENSIONS for backwards compatibility with existing clients?  Or is the
> number of clients which use LIST EXTENSIONS too small to worry about,
> especially if the current LIST EXTENSIONS output can't be trusted?

Pine uses LIST EXTENSIONS, but since the output is untrustworthy there are
all sorts of bizarre heuristics to decide whether or rely upon it for a
particular extension or not.

I would be happy to abandon LIST EXTENSIONS support entirely in Pine in
favor of support for a trustworthy CAPABILITY command.

-- Mark --

http://staff.washington.edu/mrc
Si vis pacem, para bellum.