[NNTP] Re: MODE READER

Ken Murchison ken at oceana.com
Wed Nov 10 11:19:53 PST 2004

Russ Allbery wrote:

> I wonder if it might not be worth changing LIST EXTENSIONS to LIST
> CAPABILITIES.  It's certainly clearer given what we're now using it for,
> it may mean that we could skip the whole business of introducing a version
> number entirely because no one has implemented LIST CAPABILITIES before
> and thereby defer that discussion until the next time we have to change
> the core protocol, and it would let us distinguish between an extension
> (something added on to NNTP that isn't defined in the core protocol
> document) from a capability (something advertised with LIST CAPABILITIES
> that may not necessarily be present, which includes extensions and some
> other things).

I'd have no problem with this.  In fact I think Mark's originally
suggestion was that we should create a new command.  In an effort to
remain compatible we decided to just add an "NNTPv2" capability to LIST
EXTENSIONS.  Given our inability to agree on the syntax of this new
"NNTPv2" capability, let's try the LIST CAPABILITIES (or just
CAPABILITY) track.

Software Engineer     21 Princeton Place
716-662-8973 x26      Orchard Park, NY 14127