[NNTP] RE: NNTP working group status

Scott Hollenbeck sah at 428cobrajet.net
Wed Nov 10 04:35:53 PST 2004

>  * The base protocol document (version -23, I believe) passed
> IETF last
>    call and has now passed IESG approval.  If we believed it
> was the right
>    thing to do, it's actually at the stage where we would
> send it to the
>    RFC editor for publication.  I don't think that's the
> right thing to
>    do (see below), but I wanted everyone to know what the
> actual status of
>    it is.

It hasn't yet been approved by the IESG.  It's going to be held until
progress is made on the tls and authinfo documents.

[snip]

> Accordingly, I think it's right to ask Scott if he also feels like we
> should reopen discussion on LIST EXTENSIONS (more formally
> than we have so
> far) and make modifications to the standard in order to meet the above
> three goals.  This would likely also result in some changes
> to the LIST
> command to try to resolve the issues with the current draft
> where some of
> the commands are optional and there's no advertised way of
> knowing whether
> they will work.  It will also probably mean dropping LIST
> DISTRIBUTIONS
> from the standard entirely and leaving it as a separate
> extension that we
> don't document in this initial set of documents, and making LIST
> NEWSGROUPS mandatory.

Well, if I'm going to hold the document I don't mind if it's revised again.
I agree, though, with the need to limit the scope.  It will probably be
necessary to run the document through the IESG again if substantive changes
are made.

-Scott-