[NNTP] LIST EXTENSIONS (again)

Ken Murchison ken at oceana.com
Tue Nov 9 20:48:55 PST 2004

Mark Crispin wrote:
> On Tue, 9 Nov 2004, Russ Allbery wrote:
>
>> INN already does this.  This is the reason why so few people encounter
>> this problem; you have to have both transit and reader access from the
>> same host.
>

> This is why I think we should just abolish MODE READER and be done with
> it.  Retaining MODE READER defends a very small set of circumstances at
> the cost of inflicting amazing complexity on clients forever.
>
> I also find it remarkable that people glibly talk about changing Pine, a
> widely-deployed client, in order to avoid changing what is probably a
> handful of peers.

If you're referring to me, I wasn't intentionally being glib at all.  I
was simply trying to find the least painful solution which would yield
the greatest amount of functionality amongst current and future deployed
software.

Given the fact that Diablo does something completely different from INN
and the number of INN deployments which *require* MODE READER would seem
to be a lot smaller than I first imagined, I'm now in favor of
eliminating MODE READER entirely (or at least making it a NOOP which has
no dependency on other commands).

For those edge cases where a server needs to support both transit and
reader functions from the same client we can provide port 433 as the
alternative.

Is this where we are, or have I completely missed the boat (again)?

Software Engineer     21 Princeton Place
716-662-8973 x26      Orchard Park, NY 14127