[NNTP] LIST EXTENSIONS (again)

Mark Crispin MRC at CAC.Washington.EDU
Tue Nov 9 19:08:57 PST 2004

On Tue, 9 Nov 2004, Russ Allbery wrote:
> INN already does this.  This is the reason why so few people encounter
> this problem; you have to have both transit and reader access from the
> same host.

This is why I think we should just abolish MODE READER and be done with
it.  Retaining MODE READER defends a very small set of circumstances at
the cost of inflicting amazing complexity on clients forever.

I also find it remarkable that people glibly talk about changing Pine, a
widely-deployed client, in order to avoid changing what is probably a
handful of peers.

-- Mark --

http://staff.washington.edu/mrc
Si vis pacem, para bellum.