[NNTP] LIST EXTENSIONS (again)

Mark Crispin MRC at CAC.Washington.EDU
Tue Nov 9 16:43:29 PST 2004

On Tue, 9 Nov 2004, Russ Allbery wrote:
>    The first concern of this working group shall be for the
>    interoperability of the various NNTP implementations, and therefore
>    for clear and explicit specification of the protocol. It is very
>    important that we document the existing situation before taking up any
>    new work.
> I really don't think we should be doing anything that breaks existing
> NNTP clients if we can possibly avoid it, which includes NNTP peers.

I don't see how that is inconsistant with creating a "compatibility with
pre-NNTPv2 servers" document and then moving ahead.

As far as interoperability, I respectfully suggest that the current
situation, in which MODE READER can respond with "can't do this until you
AUTHINFO first", and AUTHINFO can respond with "can't do this until you
MODE READER first" is not condusive to interoperability.

-- Mark --

http://staff.washington.edu/mrc
Si vis pacem, para bellum.