[NNTP] LIST EXTENSIONS (again)

Russ Allbery rra at stanford.edu
Tue Nov 9 16:30:28 PST 2004

Mark Crispin <MRC at CAC.Washington.EDU> writes:
> On Tue, 9 Nov 2004, Russ Allbery wrote:

>> This doesn't help since it's not backward compatible with existing
>> clients.

> Why?  We're not changing clients, we're changing NNTP peers.  I think
> that we can claim this to be in-charter.

That's not my reading of the charter.  Note particularly this part:

    The first concern of this working group shall be for the
    interoperability of the various NNTP implementations, and therefore
    for clear and explicit specification of the protocol. It is very
    important that we document the existing situation before taking up any
    new work.

I really don't think we should be doing anything that breaks existing
NNTP clients if we can possibly avoid it, which includes NNTP peers.