[NNTP] LIST EXTENSIONS (again)

Mark Crispin MRC at CAC.Washington.EDU
Tue Nov 9 10:33:34 PST 2004

On Tue, 9 Nov 2004, Clive D.W. Feather wrote:
> Mark Crispin said:
>>> It happens to be logically necessary, since (from the server
>>> perspective) authentication may depend on knowing whether MODE READER
>>> has been done but not the reverse. For example, the set of available
>>> authentication methods may be different.
>> Fine, then; have a different command for client vs. peer authentication.
> I still don't see how this helps, because the server throws away all state
> on receipt of a (needed) MODE READER. This includes the authentication ID
> (and encryption keys).

If there is a different command for client vs. peer authentication, then
there is no need for MODE READER.

Actually, if you take the position that RFC 977 is anything more than
worthless, then MODE READER is not needed because it is not in RFC 977.

-- Mark --

http://staff.washington.edu/mrc
Si vis pacem, para bellum.