[NNTP] LIST EXTENSIONS (again)

Russ Allbery rra at stanford.edu
Tue Nov 9 10:13:48 PST 2004

Clive D W Feather <clive at demon.net> writes:
> Russ Allbery said:

>> The problem with not advertising extensions that the client is allowed
>> to use after authentication is that the client then has no idea whether
>> the extension is available but needs authentication or if it's just not
>> there at all.

> Um, I hate to sound sour, but that was one of my points when I proposed
> the STATUS command. Yet everyone said this feature was unnecessary.

I was reiterating your point to make sure that people continued to think
about it.  I'm mostly convinced that it's unnecessary to distinguish
between an extension that's not available at all and one that will become
available after authentication or TLS negotiation, and Mark certainly
seems to think that it's unnecessary, but I don't want us to forget that
we're making that decision and I want to give people plenty of opportunity
to object if that sounds wrong.