[NNTP] LIST EXTENSIONS (again)

Charles Lindsey chl at clerew.man.ac.uk
Tue Nov 9 02:40:05 PST 2004

In <Pine.WNT.4.62.0411081435090.5396 at Tomobiki-Cho.CAC.Washington.EDU> Mark Crispin <MRC at CAC.Washington.EDU> writes:

>Fine, then; have a different command for client vs. peer authentication.

>> It's quite likely that no-one has used it in a situation where it
>> matters (INN, transfer access _and_ authentication).

When I first started to use NNTP (some years back, now), I used Stan
Barber's model implementation which followed RFC 997 closely and knew
nothing of "MODE READER".

My first attempts to read news from a server failed because I had not
given MODE READER. It was some early version of INN, and came up in innd
mode even though the IP address I was coming from had no permission to use
IHAVE.

The server I currently upload to comes up in innd mode (because it
recognizes my IP and knows it has permission to use IHAVE). It I wanted to
read from it, I would have to give MODE READER first (I don't, because I
actually read news from yet another server).

So yes, there have been, and still are, servers where MODE READER is
required. I grant you that neither of the cases I mentioned require
AUTHINFO, because they rely(ied) on recognizing my IP. But I see no reason
why they should not choose to use AUTHINFO (I think the capability is
there in INN if they choose to use it).

Email: chl at clerew.man.ac.uk      Snail: 5 Clerewood Ave, CHEADLE, SK8 3JU, U.K.